From The Pastor
Next week we celebrate Thanksgiving Day. We recognize that God is the giver of all things and express our gratefulness. This is the time of year for us to reflect on our lives and all the graces and blessings we have received during the past year. St. Paul tells us “In all circumstances, give thanks, for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus”. It is in the awareness of how “the Lord has done great things for me” that we are able to pray in thanksgiving. There’s an old story about a traveler who came upon a barn where the devil had stored seeds. He planned to sow these seeds in the hearts of people. There were lots of bags and they were marked “Hatred”, “Fear”, “Doubt”, “Despair”, “Unforgiving”, “Pride”, “Greed” and so on. The devil appeared and struck up a conversation with the traveler. He gleefully told the traveler how easily the seeds he sowed sprouted in the hearts of men and women. “Are there any hearts in which these seeds will not sprout?” the traveler asked. A melancholy look appeared on the devil’s face. “These seeds will not sprout in the heart of a thankful and joyful person”, he said.
Have a blessed Thanksgiving.
- Holiday Boutique & Raffle is here! Parishioners, you’re invited to come to the Holiday Boutique this Sunday, November 18th, where we will be offering coffee and donuts after each Mass. Please come and support our parish and start your holiday shopping. We have a few raffle tickets left, so if you haven’t gotten yours yet, come to the Boutique and enter to win $3000!
- The Archdiocesan Annual Appeal (AAA) is run primarily at the parish level, allowing each parish to participate in the work of the Archbishop to provide for the vital services and ministries needed in the Archdiocese of San Francisco and beyond. To date St. Dunstan Parish is $12,000 short of reaching this goal. This campaign ends on December 31, 2018. If you have not yet contributed to this year’s Archdiocesan Annual Appeal, please consider doing so today. You can contribute online here. Any shortfall will have to be paid from parish operating funds. Thank you for your support.
- Knights of Columbus Crab Feed On Saturday, December 1st, the Knights of Columbus will be hosting their 21st Annual Larry Bianchi & Lou Grech Memorial Crab Cioppino Dinner at the Parish Center. Chicken dinners are available upon request. Following dinner there will be an evening of dancing. Tickets are $60 per person. More information to come!
- St. Dunstan's Youth Ministry Event!St. Dunstan Youth Ministry is having a Parents' Night Out Event on Friday, November 23rd.
Parents: Get some Holiday Shopping done, enjoy dinner or a couple of kid-free hours! Have your Preschool-4th grade children join us for a fun evening of games, crafts and some Holiday treats! Admission is $10 per child, and includes a pizza dinner, drinks and Holiday treats. Flyers are available in the back of the church, or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Forms are due on Monday, November 19th by 12:00pm.
- Thursday, November 22nd is Thanksgiving Day. There will be one Mass celebrated at 9:00am. Canned goods for the needy will be collected at this Mass, and will be distributed by the St. Vincent de Paul Society. The Parish Office and school will be closed on Thursday and Friday, November 22nd & 23rd.
- Next weekend’s second collection will be for the Parish Maintenance & Development Fund.